This year the annual International Road check for 2018 has been announced and it will take place from June 5 to June 7. It is a three-day inspection event that happens across North America. According to the CVSA, during the 72-hour period, an average of 15 vehicles are inspected every minute.
The focus of International Roadcheck 2018
Although inspectors generally conduct Level-1 inspections, each year the CVSA also puts extra emphasis on specific aspects. In 2016, the special focus was on tires. In 2017, the focus was on cargo securement. This year, the focus is going to be on hours-of-service compliance.
Things to remember are that AOBRDs are allowed to be used instead of ELDs up until December 2019 if fleets were using them before the 2017 ELD deadline of Dec. 17. And the latest guidance allows a motor carrier that installed and required its drivers to use an AOBRD before Dec. 18, 2017, to install and use a new ELD-capable device that runs compliant AOBRD software until the December 2019 full compliance deadline.
What Might be Seen in a Level 1 Inspection
Level-1 inspections are considered the most thorough. It is a 37-step procedure which includes an examination of vehicle-related violations as well as driver compliance and driver-related violations.
Driver inspection includes:
- Commercial driver license (CDL)
- Hours-of-Service (HOS) compliance
- Medical examiner’s certificate
- Possible alcohol and drug use
- Records of duty status (RODS) compliance
- Seatbelt usage
- Skill performance evaluation (SPE) certificate
- Braking, electrical, exhaust, and fuel systems
- Cargo securement, hazardous material, and cargo tank specification compliance
- Coupling and lighting device operations
- Driveline/driveshafts and steering mechanisms
- Emergency exit and windshield wiper operations
- Open-top trailer and van bodies
- Suspension, hub, rim, tire, and wheel assemblies
|TARPSTOP TOLEDO, OH
12000 WILLIAMS RD
PERRYSBURG, OH 43551
|TARPSTOP GARY, IN
6801 MELTON RD
GARY, IN 46403
| TARPSTOP TAYLOR, MI
7800 BEECH DALY RD
TAYLOR, MI 48180